We’re Back

You know how life sometimes takes turns that you aren’t expecting? They aren’t necessarily bad turn, just ones you weren’t expecting. That’s how our life has been the last six weeks. I started to post about it and then it just wasn’t saying what I wanted it to say, so I waited until everything was lined up and we were back on the road.

On April 11th we terminated the lease that we had with the company we had been running for. Long story short, we had a difference of opinion on who had control of our truck and so we decided to leave them and go out on our own. We had been working toward that, but this just made us jump a bit sooner than later. One of those things that wasn’t exactly unplanned, just came sooner than we had anticipated.

We spent the last six weeks at my sister’s, which we sort of call home, getting all of the paperwork lined up and all of the i’s dotted and the t’s crossed. Dealing with the government, be they federal or state, is a huge pain in the tuckus. Then, add in all of the brokerage companies that we were trying to get pre-registered with, and the paperwork became a chore of epic proportions. I spent a good part of every day on the computer, faxing, researching, and filing, and we still, even though we are back on the road, don’t have everything done. We haven’t registered with the state of New Jersey and paid our franchise fee, and we have decided that we will not go to New England anymore because it is just so cost prohibitive with the tolls and the exorbitant cost of fuel. It’s also cheaper when we register our vehicle if we dont go there.

I now have several rounds of paperwork to do every month that we used to rely on the company for: I now have to file the monthly and quarterly fuel tax reports; I have to make sure that DH’s logs are all correct and I have to find and book all of our loads in such a way that we are making money and not just breaking even. This will either make us or break us.

In the time that we were off, I was able to fly to St. Louis for the Loopy Ewe’s Spring Fling 2008. This was so much fun, and I got to meet some really incredible women (Hi Sarah, LaLa, Keri, Aimee, Janet, Pat, and too many to remember tonight as I type this) . My roommate (hi Sara) was a hoot and we actually hit it off really well. I think we talked well into the night every night we were there. I got to meet Allen of Numma Numma yarns, Stacy of Tempted Yarns, Sheri of the Loopy Ewe, Cookie of Cookie A Knitwear designs (I was fortunate enough to take a class from her on sock design) and Wendy of Wendy Knits fame (took a class from her too, and it was good).  I was also fortunate to meet and hang out with Claudia  the Wollmeise herself (along with every other person there…we just basked in her glory) and came away with a specially dyed skein of Wollmeise just for the spring fling.  Isn’t it purty?

One of the things that I found so fascinating about the Spring Fling was that all of the women there just “got it”.  They understood why I knit and how satisfying it is to knit.  Not only that, they are some of the nicest, coolest, hippest women I know.  We were taken care of very well by Sheri and Janet, and Sheri chose a really great place to have the first ever spring fling.  The accommodations were excellent, the food was over the top, and then we got a trip to visit the Loopy Ewe in person…how fun was that.  I was fortunate enough to be in the first trip to the loopy ewe, and then I had my class with Cookie….her mind goes in weird and wonderful ways, I had some free time and then I got to take my class with Wendy.  I already knit socks toe up, and almost skipped out on Wendy’s class, but I’m glad I didn’t.  I learned a new way to cast on for the toes that doesn’t leave a ridge, and I got the numbers, or the percentages, for the number of stitches to use for the heel flap.

There were so many wonderful women there that I kind of just flitted from table to table and group to group because I didn’t want to miss talking to, or hanging out with, anyone.  I don’t think I met everyone, but that’s okay, because I did meet most everyone.

On my trip to the Loopy ewe, where I wasn’t going to really buy a whole lot, I bought a bit.  I came away with some gorgeous yarn (are you surprised?) and now have way more yarn than I need, ;D.  Some of what I came away with is:

Lorna's Laces Noro Sock yarn

I won a skein of Claudia Hanpaint Silk lace in the peppermint Mocha colorway:

Peppermint MOcha

I got some swap yarn (Yarn pirate’s Cannon Beach) and my Spring Fling swap partner (Hi Sharon) was good to me and gave me some Spindle City yarns in Day at the Beach:

Under the influence of my roommate at the fling, I purchased a couple of skeins of Handmaiden’s Casbah Sock yarn…one skein of Earth and one skein of Twilight:

Casbah Earth Twilight

and I know that I bought some other stuff, but it was a month ago and I was on yarn overload.  The big purchase that I made at the Loopy Ewe was a Namaste Bag.   I lurve this bag…it’s huge, I can use it as a purse and a knitting bag and still have room left over.  I used it as my carry on when I flew home.

I stole this image from the Namaste website because I don’t have a picture of my bag….but I love it.  One of the things I like about it is the motto that they have on all of their bags:  Leather is hard to clean, this isn’t!  but it feels like buttery soft leather and looks so good.

I know I bought other yarn…I think some more Lorna’s laces in a couple of other colorways because I like it alot, a skein or two of Cherry Tree Hill, and I had ordered some Arucania that I picked up at the fling.

All in all it was a good time and I met some really neat women.  I would go back in a heart beat!!!

I got home on Sunday evening to lost luggage…it was lost in the airport and because of staff shortages, they wouldn’t or couldn’t find it that night.  I had to wait until Tuesday for it to get delivered by FedEx…bet that cost them a pretty penny to ship 60 lbs of luggage by FedEx, whatcha think?  My wonderful husband let me sleep in on Monday…brought me breakfast in bed and then let me go back to sleep.  I hadn’t gotten much at the Spring Fling, so I needed to catch up, but Tuesday he was back to being the slave driver and I had to get back to work.

Tomorrow or soon, I will post what we did the next weekend after we spent the week working on the truck stuff and I will show you the other yarny goodness that I got and the fun I had!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s